Nursing Home Checklist
You can use this checklist to mark off the important items when reviewing a nursing home.
- Is the home in the location you want?
- Is it convenient for friends and relatives to visit?
- Is it easy to access using public transport?
- Does the home offer the type of accomodation you want and need?
- Is the home well decorated and maintained?
- Does the home smell fresh and airy?
- Is the home cleaned to a high standard?
- Can you bring in your own possessions?
- Does the room have an en suite bathroom?
- Are there a number of bathrooms with specialist showers and baths?
- Is there a telephone or the possibility of having a telephone installed?
- Is there a television or the possibility of having one installed?
- Are there a variety of communal areas and quiet lounges?
- Is there a separate dining room?
- Is there easy access for people in wheelchairs?
- Is the home welcoming when you enter?
- Do the staff acknowledge you?
- Can the staff be seen?
- Are the staff with residents in the lounge area?
- Does the manager give you confidence?
- Do the staff interact well with residents?
- Do residents seem happy, interested and occupied?
- Are you encouraged to talk with residents/visiting relatives/staff?
- Are visitors welcome at all times?
- Are a variety of activities and outings available?
- Are the arrangements for laundry satisfactory?
- Does a chiropodist/physiotherapist/hairdresser visit regularly?
- Does the home provide transport?
- Does the home have suitable equipment for older people, for example, hoists, walking aids, special mattresses, pressure cushions, beds?
- Is there a choice of menu?
- Are special diets catered for?
- Can your visitors join you for refreshments or meals?
- Can you choose where you have your meals?
- Is room service available?
- Can you have access to refreshments outside of official mealtimes?
- Does the home have a clear statement as to what's included in the weekly fees and what items are extra?
Evidence of care standards
- Does the Home have their latest inspection report from the Health Information & Quality Authority (HIQA) readily available?